Follow the steps given below :
1. Make a prose statement of the passage set in the examination.
2. Explain the development of the ideas in it ; Structure of the Poem.
3. Who is the protagonist ?
4. What is the tone ?
5. Take note of the diction—what kinds of words are used? Do they refer to some particular area of meaning? Do they create any ascendant or descendant progression ? Are they helpful in creating the musical effect ? Do the sounds match with the nature of the feelings expressed? Is the language simple or obstructs in understanding ?
6. Figures of speech. Ironical Contrasts, Simile, Metaphor.
7. Versification or Rhyming : the assonance pattern of lines—onomatopoetic effect. Rhyme Scheme.
8. Final Evaluation.